Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring Break

Last weekend we went up to Pinedale and stayed at Dallas' family's ranch. It was soooo nice! I can't remember the last time we went away just for fun. We have gone away a few times lately but there was always some other purpose- not just to enjoy the family. It was a much needed break and I am so grateful we were able to go.

Friday morning we drove to ShowLow and had lunch at a little Chinese restaurant. Afterwards we went for a short nature walk on a trail we found up there. Nothing fancy, just had fun. The kids were able to run around after a long car ride and we just giggled and joked around with one another. We played troll on a bridge, found sticks shaped like guns, threw pinecones at one another, watched some insects and tried to hear our voices echo. After our walk we went back to the ranch, ate dinner, visited and watched Rocketman.

Saturday morning we had Grandma's biscuits and gravy then headed out to Fool Hollow Lake where we enjoyed a long quiet morning fishing. We didn't catch a single fish but it didn't matter. There was a little playground nearby where the boys would play when they got bored fishing. Better still was the park bench where I was able to take a nap. It was perfect- the breeze was cool but the sun would come in and out of the clouds making it unbelievably pleasant. (Did I mention I had a nice time? ;-)

Keith and Kim, Chad and Caskie and Grandma and Grandpa all met us back at the ranch for fried chicken at lunch time. All the boys ran around the ranch with Chad and Caskie's kids in the afternoon while Alexis, Amanda, Grandma and I played cards. Later in the evening Dallas took the boys shooting.

Sunday morning we took our time waking up and eating breakfast. Afterwards we just cleaned up and headed home with no rush. That was one of my favorite parts of the trip- nothing was rushed. Sure, we may have caught a fish if we had rushed out on Saturday morning to be at the lake at sunrise, but then we wouldn't have enjoyed sleeping in. We drove home through Payson and there was some ice still on the ground. Our city dwelling children screamed "I want to play in the snow!" We obliged, pulling off at state park (?) and played in the snow/ice for a while. The kids all ganged up on Dad. hehehe. I only wish I had remembered my camera.

Overall, it was the best- do nothing- weekend I have had in a very very long time!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds like fun, I love those kinds of trips. I'm dying to know how was the snipe hunt?

Anonymous said...

We love Pinedale!

Lori said...

Yeah! So glad all went well and you had a very fun and none stressful weekend! Thanks again for setting up that park day with Heidi last week, she is very knowledgable and had lots of good advice! You are the BEST! Love ya!