Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Traditions


I am curious what kind of Christmas traditions everyone has. If you would like to, please leave a note with one tradition you and your family share around this holiday season. Here's mine:

We have a few things we do each year. But I want to share a game we began this year that I hope will turn into a tradition. On our piano we have a three piece nativity set- very basic. I made it out of clay pots and wooden balls. Each morning before the kids wake up I hide baby Jesus somewhere in the house. The kids all go on a treasure hunt in the mornings searching for baby Jesus. The person who finds him gets $1. By the time Christmas comes, each child could have earned around $5. Not much I know, but $5 to a 6 year old is big bucks!

Now it's your turn. What do you like to do as a family?

4 comments:

katielyn said...

What a great idea! And the metaphorical significance of looking for the Savior- LOVE IT! Wish I had cool traditions to share, just some from my family growing up. Christmas Eve we make homemade pizza all together (however with in laws in the picture, Jason and I have been MIA for a few years...).

Priceless Heritage said...

I was just wondering this same thing after reading an article about doing a December Advent Calendar of chains and having each day planned with a tradition like making cookies, going to the temple lights, baking a cake on Christmas day for Jesus etc.... You then have it all planned out and the kids have something to look forward to each day. A few things we do is Reindeer food, Christmas Eve p.j.s, gingerbread houses, nativity play. Growing up we just looked at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve. I really like your idea and think I'll use it next year when I buy a nativity after Christmas on sale :) Merry Christmas!

Wendy said...

I remember hearing about your Pizza tradition Katie. Sounds yummy! Delanie- this set is a basic one I made myself out of tiny clay pots and scraps of material. It is pretty cute but I won't ever be sad if the kids break it. You are welcome to look at it if you want to copy it. So stinkin' simple and cute.

Nicole said...

Christmas is soooo over, update your blog!!!