Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Life Update

No memorable life experiences in this post, just day to day business. Since I use this blog as a quasi-journal I figured I need to put some of this stuff in here.

First, we got Aspen and Ash's report cards this week. Overall they are both doing well. However, Aspen is beginning to fall behind in his reading- something he has always struggled with. The teacher and I have been monitoring it very closely since the beginning of the year because he has had trouble in the past and so far he was barely in the "normal" rage. He has now fallen below and needs to pick up his game.

Ash got a few poor marks because he doesn't do his homework as often as he should. Wait, let me rephrase that. He NEVER does his homework- literally. During our last parent teacher conference I asked the teacher to explain how she wants the homework done. Even Dallas and I were confused by her directions. If we can't get it I don't expect Ash, a second grader, to understand it. Needless to say, we don't do his assigned homework with him but I do read with him every night. The teacher has him reading things like "Froggy goes to the Dentist" at school while at home he is reading "Charlotte's Web". I am not worried about him getting an education. No matter what, he will be taught to read and write, at least at home.

Dallas has been sick for the past couple of days. He has a cold and a really nasty cough. One of the guys at work claims he accidently gave it to him and apologized this morning. Hopefully he will begin to feel better soon.

Speaking of Dallas, he got a new calling in the ward- cubmaster. I don't know how he really feels about it because he doesn't talk much about things like that, just shrugs his shoulders. He said yes though so I guess he doesn't think it is THAT bad.

Homeschooling is going fine. We finished reading Tom Sawyer and now Alexis is on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde while Aiden is on The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Aiden said he may want to go back to public school in the fall. I am fine with his decision. As long as he sticks with a decision and doesn't think he can quit whenever he wants to, I am happy to support whichever path he wants. Alexis on the other hand has no desire to ever step foot inside another school. She is done and frankly, she is so self motivated that I can see her going a lot further with homeschooling that I can with regular school.

No comments: