Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Journal Starters

I found a fun list of journal starters that sounded interesting and inspired me to write in my blog more. Every once in a while I will try to use one to jumpstart my writing again. Today's topic is "Describe a childhood friend and what you did with him or her".

I would have to pick Jocelyn Hunter. Perhaps it wasn't EVERY day, but most days after school I would call Jocey (jaw-see) and ask her if she could play. If she said yes, my mom would open our back gate and Jocey's mom would open her back gate then I would walk through the back alley into her yard to play. We played Barbies A LOT, played house or school, rode our bikes and swam. I also remember going to the Tempe public library with her. When we would swim we would pretend to be Strawberry Shortcake and it was one of the only times I enjoyed having red hair as a kid because I could say, " I have to be Strawberry Shortcake because I have red hair. YOU can be the bad guy." Nobody ever wanted to be the bad guy. We always played at her house insted of mine because she was afraid of teenagers. As the youngest of six children, there were always teenagers at my house.

As many kids do, I became a bad friend as we got older. Long about 6th grade I began to think I was too cool to play with someone younger than me. There were girls my age who were in the "cool group" whom Jocelyn didn't like. I had to make a choice and unfortunately, I chose the wrong friends. I wish I could go back and change my actions but I can't. Thankfully, Jocelyn has a forgiving heart and we are friends again. She was a great friend and I couldn't imagine my childhood without her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Wendy! I am crying. That was such a great reminder of all the fun we had together as kids. I never thought you were a bad friend! I always loved my friend "Strawberry Shortcake!" Love you lots!