Sunday, August 3, 2008

August 3, 2008


For some reason my thoughts are drawn to Alexis today. As she advances one more grade, she is entering an age where outside influences are going to override the things I say and I am nervous about that. I am proud to see the young lady she is turning into, the one who constantly asks me if we can volunteer for this group or that activity. She always wants to do secret acts of service for our family, friends and neighbors. She has so many amazing qualities and is beautiful both inside and out. Yet I am sad to think of what the world wants her to think of herself- that she isn't good enough. She needs to be prettier, to be thinner, to be more popular. But I want her to know how beautiful and special she is and how much she is loved.

I was looking for a lesson for FHE to remind her and my other children about just how wonderful and unique they are when I came across two different sites on the internet, two worlds apart but both with great messages. The first one is a video put out by Dove's campaign for real beauty. It captured all of my worries and fears and put them in a 30 second spot to show just how much pressure girls are under nowadays to be perfect. http://www.dove.us/#/features/videos/default.aspx[cp-documentid=7049560]/ Then I came across another article with a collection of short stories that tell the same story of our need for good self worth but in a different light. http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=8f5430b157edb010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1
Both messages are equally powerful in their own right. I have some work to do tonight to figure out how I am going to combine them into a lesson for our kids so that I can convey just how much they mean to me and to their Heavenly Father.

No comments: