
I went to Enrichment night last night and it was a blast! The theme was "Back to School" and the entire church was decked out as a school, from picking up ID badges with our high school pictures down to the women wearing hairnets in the kitchen. It was hilarious.
On one wall there was a "Most likely to..." section with various pictures of women in our ward. One of them was me and I was voted "Most likely to get an object caught in my hair." Somehow Chea Lamb, who was in charge of the pictures, found out about one of my most embarassing moments from grade school. Now that I am in my 30's I can laugh about it. Here is what happened:
In junior high, the hair style was huge! (notice my friends and I "back in the day" above) The bigger your hair was, the better. Often times I would pull the hair away from my head at the temples, hair spray it until it was crisp then use a thin curling iron to create spirals. Once my hair was complete, it was like a solid helmet- seriously. There was no bounce in my hair, it moved as one solid mass.
During lunch, the cool thing for us girls to do was sit at the outside tables and watch the boys play handball against the side of the building. One day we were sitting there and a stray tennis ball came flying in my direction. Unfortunately, the ball hit my hair and got tangled in it. I was struggling to get it out before the boys found out where it was and I was wispering to my girlfriends, "Get it out! Get it out!" We all worked on my hair and finally retrieved the ball but not before the boys came over and asked, "Is the ball STUCK in your hair?" I was mortified. A tennis ball had literally gotten lost in my hair.
The keynote speaker for the evening was my neighbor, Joel Anderson. He is a K9 and SWAT police officer in Mesa and is a competitor in the Iron Man competitions held every year for the police and fire departments from around the world. Last year he won first place out of every police officer and fire fighter in the world!! He is amazingly fit and strong. The talk he gave last night was on setting goals and working to achieve them and he did a fantastic job, inspiring us to be better and do more. He quoted Gordon B. Hinkley when he said,
"This is the great day of decision for each of us. For many it is the time of beginning something that will go on for as long as you live. I plead with you: don't be a scrub! Rise to the high ground of spiritual, mental and physical excellence. You can do it! You may not be a genius. You may be lacking in some skills. But so many of us can do better than we are now doing. Jesus said, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."(Matt 5:48) That is the crowning example of excellence. May each of us have a rich and wonderful likfe moving in that direction. We will not become perfect in a day or a monty of a year. We will not accomplish it in a lifetime but we can keep trying, starting with our more obvious weaknesses and gradually converting them to strengths as we go forward with our lives. "Look to God and Live"(Alma 37:47). Kneel before Him in supplication. He will help you. He will bless you. He will comfort and sustain you. There will be progress. There will be growth. There will be improvement. And there will be much of added happiness."
Another thing Joel mentioned was that we need to make goals, write them down and tell them to someone else. So, here goes. Here are my goals for this next month:
1. Continue to work at my schooling, finishing two off two more classes, algebra and anatomy/physiology. I will work harder to study and prepare for my finals.
2. I will attend the temple at least once more this month. This is a hard one because it requires me to carve out at least three hours of time but I am always glad I did it once I am there.
So there you go- my two goals to work on this month. Next month will be something different but this is my starting point. Where's your starting point?
On one wall there was a "Most likely to..." section with various pictures of women in our ward. One of them was me and I was voted "Most likely to get an object caught in my hair." Somehow Chea Lamb, who was in charge of the pictures, found out about one of my most embarassing moments from grade school. Now that I am in my 30's I can laugh about it. Here is what happened:
In junior high, the hair style was huge! (notice my friends and I "back in the day" above) The bigger your hair was, the better. Often times I would pull the hair away from my head at the temples, hair spray it until it was crisp then use a thin curling iron to create spirals. Once my hair was complete, it was like a solid helmet- seriously. There was no bounce in my hair, it moved as one solid mass.
During lunch, the cool thing for us girls to do was sit at the outside tables and watch the boys play handball against the side of the building. One day we were sitting there and a stray tennis ball came flying in my direction. Unfortunately, the ball hit my hair and got tangled in it. I was struggling to get it out before the boys found out where it was and I was wispering to my girlfriends, "Get it out! Get it out!" We all worked on my hair and finally retrieved the ball but not before the boys came over and asked, "Is the ball STUCK in your hair?" I was mortified. A tennis ball had literally gotten lost in my hair.
The keynote speaker for the evening was my neighbor, Joel Anderson. He is a K9 and SWAT police officer in Mesa and is a competitor in the Iron Man competitions held every year for the police and fire departments from around the world. Last year he won first place out of every police officer and fire fighter in the world!! He is amazingly fit and strong. The talk he gave last night was on setting goals and working to achieve them and he did a fantastic job, inspiring us to be better and do more. He quoted Gordon B. Hinkley when he said,
"This is the great day of decision for each of us. For many it is the time of beginning something that will go on for as long as you live. I plead with you: don't be a scrub! Rise to the high ground of spiritual, mental and physical excellence. You can do it! You may not be a genius. You may be lacking in some skills. But so many of us can do better than we are now doing. Jesus said, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."(Matt 5:48) That is the crowning example of excellence. May each of us have a rich and wonderful likfe moving in that direction. We will not become perfect in a day or a monty of a year. We will not accomplish it in a lifetime but we can keep trying, starting with our more obvious weaknesses and gradually converting them to strengths as we go forward with our lives. "Look to God and Live"(Alma 37:47). Kneel before Him in supplication. He will help you. He will bless you. He will comfort and sustain you. There will be progress. There will be growth. There will be improvement. And there will be much of added happiness."
Another thing Joel mentioned was that we need to make goals, write them down and tell them to someone else. So, here goes. Here are my goals for this next month:
1. Continue to work at my schooling, finishing two off two more classes, algebra and anatomy/physiology. I will work harder to study and prepare for my finals.
2. I will attend the temple at least once more this month. This is a hard one because it requires me to carve out at least three hours of time but I am always glad I did it once I am there.
So there you go- my two goals to work on this month. Next month will be something different but this is my starting point. Where's your starting point?
4 comments:
Oh my goodness, thanks for writing this...I love that quote from President Hinkley. Don't be a scrub...I miss him! I CAN do better! Thanks for the motivation!
Hi Wendy- so fun you have a blog! Funny story about the tennis ball :) I loved enrichment too. Joel did a great job. I left wanting to make a list too. Good luck with yours :)
Del- do you want to do London's Run with me this year? We started walking yesterday morning and will walk for a couple weeks before running. I figure we have a few months to work up to it. You game?
Oh yeah, I want the list of other women in the ward with blogs. Can you forward it to me?
Post a Comment