Sunday, July 20, 2008

Amanda's First Stake Dance

Saturday night was Amanda's first stake dance. She came to me at 7:30 pm and said she wanted to go but there were a few concerns I had.

#1- None of her friends were going (How fun is a stake dance when none of your friends are there?)

#2- She didn't have a dance card and had no idea what one was

#3- She only wanted to stay for one hour, meaning I would need to drop her off, return home, then leave to pick her up 20 minutes later- not going to happen.



I did some calling around to different people in our ward and found two girls who had just left. Their dad said that they DID need dance cards but that the bishop always had them on him. Unfortunately, I couldn't get in touch with the bishop so I just chanced and took her to the dance, hoping that there would be someone at the door who could do a quick interview and let her in. (FYI, if you have no idea what a dance card is either, it is a card that allows you into church dances. Basically, it just has the rules on it [no rough housing, dress modestly, be nice....] and you need to review the rules once a year to get a card.)



After a little coaxing, I convinced Amanda to stay at the dance more than one hour. If anything went really bad I said she could call me, otherwise I would pick her up two hours later.



We finally got to the dance and there was a gentlemand outside the door saying the dance had been moved due to a bee infestation in the church that just occured Saturday afternoon. He directed us to the new location and I dropped her off.

After the dance I asked how it went and she gave a typical answer "good". When I asked her if she danced with any boys she said no but also said she had a good time. I am glad to see her beginning to go.

No comments: