Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Interesting Tidbit


Okay, okay, I still know nothing about anything, but I did learn something really cool in my biology class today that I never knew before. Perhaps you other moms never knew this either so I wanted to share.

Each time I had a baby I assumed the baby would cry for the first time because the doctor spaked it, flicked it's foot or some other response inducing action to make the baby angry enough to cry and take his or her first breath. Tonight I learned that the baby cries on its own, regardless of what the doctor does. Before the child is born, the placenta constantly removes the carbon dioxide from the infant. Once out of the womb, carbon dioxide begins to accumulate until a trigger is set off in the baby's brain that stimulates the first breath to expel the carbon dioxide. It takes a tremendous deal of effort for the baby to inflate the lungs for the first time but once they are inflated the surface tension decreases and it becomes easy for the infant to breath. Now you are a little bit smarter.

Speaking of school- here is my plug to all my young mom friends who want to go back to school but think right now is a bad time. Let me tell you- if I can do it with a full time job, five kids, soccer, violin, drama club, scouts, young women, activity days, and being primary chorister- you can do it too! I do all my classes online, usually after the kids are in bed so it doesn't take time away from my family. If money is an issue, I will show you how to apply for grants so you can do it for FREE.

A couple years ago I was at a friend's house moaning about how I wanted to do school but it was too expensive, blah , blah, blah. She looked at me and said, "I can do something for you right now. Come here." She took me to her computer, sat me down and walked me through applying for federal grant money. It may sound silly but the thought of applying for grant money never even occured to me because at the time both Dallas and I were working full time and had plenty of money. Yet we still qualified! You never know until you apply if you can get money, so why not try? I am now trying to pay it forward. My friend got me back into school so I want to help other young moms like me get back into school. It isn't going to get any easier when the kids are in school, when your husband gets a better job, when you have the next baby or when you get more free time. Do it NOW! Don't know where to start? Give me a call and I will come walk you through it, step by step. Let's get smarter together!

No comments: