After I wrote a scathing note to Amanda's teacher last night, I woke up this morning to a different thought. The parable of the poop cookies popped into my head just as I opened my eyes and I knew I needed to be nice to this teacher instead of lashing out. So, I politely sent some delicious pumpkin cookies to her school this morning with a letter telling the teacher they were "Historically accurate, traditional Squirrel Feces Cookies". I had taken the liberty of pulling out all the big pieces of poop and only left a few pieces in there so she could get the flavor. I added that she could pick out a few of the last little bits but that they were so minimal she probably wouldn't even notice.
After sending the cookies to the teacher I went in and visited with the vice principal. To make a long story short, the principal stated that he supports his teachers 100% and that if showing a rated R movie is the best way to teach children they will do it. He saw nothing wrong with the movie and since we live in a digital world we need to reach out to children in their own medium. I concure with that statement but added that the medium of movies doesn't need to be rated R movies. They could show History channel movies that would get the story across just fine. No, he insisted. It needed to be more realistic. Dallas and I left the meeting knowing full well nothing was going to change. The VP went so far as to say it wasn't going to change.
By evening time I had mostly forgotten about the whole principal and cookie episodes (I am a mom. Anything past five minutes ago is ancient history). We went to church tonight and Sister Valenta smiles and says, "So, I hear you sent some cookies to Amanda's teacher this morning." Her son and Amanda have early morning seminary together and Amanda read him the letter.
It turns out that just yesterday she and her husband had visited with this same VP about a book her son was given to read. She said they were extremely upset about the vulgar language and scenes portrayed in the book but the VP said it was a great piece of literature. This went on for sometime when the husband said, "If I made you some brownies with just a little poop in them, would you eat them?" The VP said, "no." "Well, why are you asking my son to read a good book with just a little poop in it?" They didn't get anywhere with him either.
The best part is that I learned the relationship between Amanda's teacher and the VP. Get this- they are MARRIED!! I don't know if anything will happen or not, but I can't help but think someone put that story in my mind this morning at 5 am. I had already written a letter to the teacher. I had signed the opt out slip. However, someone else knew of the VP's conversation the day before and also knew who he was married to. He also knew I had just baked cookies. I trust Heavenly Father can teach the VP and the teacher both a lesson that neither the Valenta family or mine could get through to them this week.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
sheesh..i can't believe all that about the schools! You are amazing to be homeschooling! Good luck! Thinking about you guys!
You never told me they were married...that is too crazy!! No wonder he was defending her!
Post a Comment