Monday, November 3, 2008

Favorite Scripture

As a mother, there are two scripture stories that are my all time favorites. One gives me strength to face impossible challenges and one gives me strength to keep going day after day in teaching my children about Jesus Christ and the principles he lived.

First, the story of baby Moses. This story holds a tender place in my heart when I think about the heart wrenching decision Moses' mother made to send her baby floating down the river in hopes of saving his life. How many prayers must she have sent up in behalf of her son! She certainly was torn by the fact that other babies- her friends' babies- were being killed. I imagine she was moved to tears when her daughter came to fetch her to nurse Moses after the princess found him in the reeds. While she was able to raise him and care for him, she still couldn't have him all to herself. I can't imagine what it must have been like to hand over your baby to another person to raise. Moses' mother gives me strength to know that I too can overcome impossible paths with God's help and I can remember that everything happens for a purpose, even if I can't see it at the moment.

The second story keeps me going on days when I just can't wake up early to read scriptures or when I mess up and allow teachable moments to slip away because I wasn't listening to the spirit to recognize what my children needed at that particular instant. The story is about a group of 2000 young men who agreed to go to war. (see side bar) None of them had ever fought before but they were confidant that if they were faithful, God would protect them. When asked how they knew that, they replied that their mothers had taught them. They leaned on the testimonies of their mothers until they were able to stand on their own. Then when they did stand, they were strong and valiant warriors! Am I as good of a mother as those mothers? Are my children strong enough to be warriors? In my mind, I could always do better, try a little harder, go a little further. I always make mistakes, but in the end, I hope my children can look back and say their testimonies are strong because they learned about Jesus Christ at home with their mother.

No comments: