Mom had her shoulder surgery yesterday and all seems to be going well. The doctor was not able to correct things orthoscopically so they ended up doing it the old fashioned way and cutting her open. Once he got inside her shoulder he noticed there were injuries suffered a while back and the fall was kind of like the last straw. Her muscles have been torn for some time now without her knowing it. That makes sense though, because when she leads the music in sacrament meeting, her arm always hurts by the end of the meeting. She assumed it was arthritis but now we know it has been her torn muscles that were hurting, not her joints.
Mom came home yesterday afternoon and has been drugged up ever since. A medical supply company came and delivered two machines- an ice and compression machine and an electrical stimuation machine. She goes back into the doctor on the 17th to have her arm examined and to have the stitches removed.
In the mean time, she is still in a lot of pain. She is on some strong tylenol with codine and is supposed to take it every 4-5 hours but she starts hurting at about 2 and a half. Last night she was pretty miserable and slept sitting straight up in her recliner as any other position hurt too bad. This morning she is sitting on the couch and looks a little better but plans on sleeping most of the day away (at least until the pain wakes her back up anyway).
Poor thing. I wish there were more I could do for her. She is in good spirits though and is confidant this surgery will help her gain more movement in her arm. Tonight will be better than last night, I am sure and as the week goes on she will only get better.
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, phone calls and visits. Even though she isn't always awake when someone calls or comes by, it does make her feel good when I tell her a friend or sibling called.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Poor Joyce, tell her I love her and hope she can get some rest and relief today! Glad you are close by!
I'm glad your mom's surgery went well. Tell her I hope she heals quickly.
Post a Comment