
Ash made my heart melt this weekend. I was working on some calendars as gifts for my daycare parents one night when Ash came up to me and says, "Excuse me, Mom. I know how hard you are working to make those calendars look good and I don't want to get you off track, but could you please help me get a drink of water?" I got up from the ground and picked him up, looked him in the eyes and told him that he is ALWAYS more important than some silly 'ol calendars and that helping him is NEVER getting me off track because that is what I want to be doing all the time. The other stuff is what gets me off track from helping HIM. He simply smiled, completely unaware of how his sweetness and good manners had touched me and said, "Can we get my water now, please?"
Last night, as with most nights, our kids all crowded onto my bed so I could read them stories before they fell asleep. While I was changing into my pajamas I noticed a sticky pad in my closet and I had the idea to come out of the closet and stick a sticky note to each of the kids foreheads with a note on it telling them how much I love them. One said, "You Rock!" another said, "I Love You!" a third said, "You are Special!" and the fourth said, "I'm glad you are in our family!" It was just going to be a quick, silly little reminder- not a big deal. In my mind they were going to giggle, perhaps take it off and put it on my own forehead or crumple it and throw it at me- just a fun five minute activity. When I put it on Ash though, he pulled it off his head with the saddest little tears in his eyes and asked me, "Mom, why did you do that to me?" I told him that I did it because I wanted him to know that I loved him and responded by saying that I shouldn't put things on his head if I loved him. He had totally taken my gesture of love as an insult and was tearing up over it. Next time I guess I will just stick with a hug and a kiss.
Last night, as with most nights, our kids all crowded onto my bed so I could read them stories before they fell asleep. While I was changing into my pajamas I noticed a sticky pad in my closet and I had the idea to come out of the closet and stick a sticky note to each of the kids foreheads with a note on it telling them how much I love them. One said, "You Rock!" another said, "I Love You!" a third said, "You are Special!" and the fourth said, "I'm glad you are in our family!" It was just going to be a quick, silly little reminder- not a big deal. In my mind they were going to giggle, perhaps take it off and put it on my own forehead or crumple it and throw it at me- just a fun five minute activity. When I put it on Ash though, he pulled it off his head with the saddest little tears in his eyes and asked me, "Mom, why did you do that to me?" I told him that I did it because I wanted him to know that I loved him and responded by saying that I shouldn't put things on his head if I loved him. He had totally taken my gesture of love as an insult and was tearing up over it. Next time I guess I will just stick with a hug and a kiss.
2 comments:
You have great kids! You are a wonderful mother, I way admire! You Rock! Thanks for being such a good example to me!
Wendy, that is a great idea, but a very funny story. I could totally see my middle son getting offended over something like that too. LOL
Post a Comment