Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pantry Swap


I know it may sound weird, but I LOVE the look of a full pantry. Knowing that my family is prepared for the lean years or emergencies brings me peace of mind. When Dallas was out of work for a while we were glad we had chosen EARLIER to follow the prophet's council to store a year's supply of food. Throughout this past year we have had to pull from our storage a LOT, giving me a chance to see what my family will and won't eat from our storage. (No, they won't eat cracked wheat, no matter how often I serve it to get used to the taste, powdered milk is stricktly for baking- not drinking, and you can NEVER mask the taste of flour from the cannery)

With that in mind, I wonder if anyone else who has a food storage would like to trade a few items. Perhaps we have things you need and you have items we want. Here's my list:


I have extra of:

wheat, red (yes, I know you are supposed to save it. But honestly, we have more than enough)
wheat, white
quick rolled oats
dried refried beans (these are yummy!)
Potato Pearls (I can eat them in an emergency but I prefer fresh so mine aren't getting rotated)
Rice
Dried Carrots(cannery)-no trade required. No date stamp on them and I don't want to try them.
Dried Onion (cannery)- see comment on carrots
Bottled Tomatoes
Tomato Sauce


What I would like:
Canned vegetables
Canned fruit
Canned tuna
Shortening

3 comments:

Rob said...

Hey Just so you know if you don't find anyone to swap with, Frys is having a case lot sale this week!! I do know there is flour, veggies, and more there!!

Wendy said...

I went to Frys this morning and bought them out of tomato sauce. I also got a lot of sugar, mac and cheese and some vegetable oil. I didn't see any veggies though so I will check again tonight. I must have just missed them.

Do you know of a good way to store flour? My stored flour always ends up tasting funny and I can't mask the taste in anything- not even cakes or cookies. Canned flour is the worst but old flour is nasty too. The only thing I do now is keep a small amount (25 lbs or so) of white flour on hand and lots of wheat to grind fresh for bread and things. How do you keep yours?

Priceless Heritage said...

I store mine in buckets with gamma lids (you must pack with dry ice if storing for long period of time- you probably know that though). Also I keep a small bag in the freezer. I don't mind the cannery flour too.